Seamless Social Security Updates for New Citizens


If you are planning to file an Application for Naturalization soon, USCIS has some good news for you. You’ll save a lot of time obtaining vital documentation, namely your Social Security card.

Updating or receiving a Social Security Number (SSN) and card will be much easier. USCIS is also making it easier for you to update your immigration status with the Social Security Administration (SSA). You won’t even have to visit an SSA office. 

Instead, you’ll request a new Social Security card or number when you fill out your Form N-400. Earlier editions of the form will not include the questions; you’ll want to make sure you’re filling out the latest version of the application online.

USCIS has also combined green card and Social Security number applications, updating Form I-485, the application for the Adjustment of Status, to include additional questions allowing you to apply for an SSN.

Citizens and permanent residents require SSNs to accomplish most legal tasks within the United States, including applying for employment, applying for credit, filing taxes, and, of course, eventually claiming Social Security income at retirement.

While you may apply for the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) to pay your taxes before you become a permanent resident or a citizen, the ITIN doesn’t help you fully participate in American life. It is merely a tax processing number built to ensure the IRS gets its due, even from undocumented immigrants. 

Of course, if you are undocumented and do not currently have an ITIN, we recommend obtaining one, filing your taxes, and paying them. Doing so can open up some immigration options later. Doing so also keeps you on the right side of the law, which is vital if you’re going to avoid deportation. 

It will be vital to take advantage of this new option and to streamline your ability to obtain these legal documents in the future. 

Want more updates on immigration policy? Be sure to continue watching this space, as we regularly cover these types of issues. In the meantime, if you need help filling out your Form N-400 or your Form I-485, contact Hykel Law to get started today. 

We help hundreds of people achieve their dreams of living and working in the United States, and we can help you, too. 

See also:

Are There Risks to Applying for Citizenship?

How Does an Employment-Based Green Card Work?

5 Steps to a Smoother Immigration Process

We Help Solve Immigration Challenges

How can we help you? Click on one of the boxes below to get started:


Employment & Investment Visas

Although it often comes with controversy, immigration into the United States has always played a major role in the strength of its economy. Perhaps no one understands this more than the residents of Philadelphia, where the Liberty Bell still welcomes foreigners to one of the richest historical communities of our country.


Family Visas

Not knowing or understanding the system and laws of the U.S. can be a disadvantage for many foreign immigrants who wish to obtain permanent residency in the United States, either for themselves or for their loved ones. Hykel Law’s Family-Based Immigration Services can lead you through the complicated process to achieve either temporary or permanent residency, depending on your situation.


Deportation Defense

Are you afraid of deportation? If you are a foreign national involved in the beginning stages of removal proceedings, the deportation attorney at Hykel Law in Philadelphia can help prevent this unfortunate situation. We can evaluate your immigration case and find the best strategy to defend you from removal proceedings to help you stay in the United States.

Call Now ButtonCall Us Now